Friday, April 14, 2023

 The Positive Human Experience
(PHE)

I don't like going to my dentist.
If I need to go to my dentist it's usually because something hurts, and I know that it's going to likely hurt more before whatever hurts no longer hurts.   I go to my dentist because she's really good at what she does. What keeps me going back to her is that she is able to turn it into a Positive Human Experience, or PHE. 
When I leave, whatever was broken is no longer that way. But there's more to it than that. There's the emotional component to my experience that is equally as important if not more. First, she cares. That's important, I think, for a dentist. Next, she does what she can to create a positive environment. She does both of these authentically and honestly, and it shows.  There are thousands of dentists out there, but I use her because of the way she makes me feel.
This is crazy important. Yet, it is overlooked in so many of our strategic competitive business models today. We often think that it's sufficient to be experts at our trade. It's not. To successfully compete in most  professions today, we need talent and the ability to authentically care and create a positive experience.
This is far easier said that it's done. The easy part of this professional strategy is learning the trade. The ore difficult part of the professional strategy is being a joyful  and empathic human being.   You may rightfully argue that you are in a profession where those two components are not necessarily important. But, before you blow them off, take a moment and be truly objective.  Consider you're standing right next to a competitor, and you share your talents of the trade equally.   However, your competitor excels in conveying far greater levels of authentic care and positivity.   
Is it possible for you to lose business or market share to that person standing next to you?  If it is, you need The Fun Factor.